Saturday, November 5, 2016

Who works with you?

5 Nov 2016


My coworkers are a very interesting mix.  We have ultra-nerdy astrophysicists who sit about discussing what tweaks they've made to their custom compiled linux kernels (that's super nerdy even by my standards), but there are also a lot of blue collar heavy equipment drivers, cooks, dishwashers, plumbers and fuel techs.  There are folks here who have been coming down to one Antarctic station or another for 20 summers bulldozing out the snow drifts or hauling the trash.  I love the mix.  Apparently at McMurdo there’s a bit of contentious class divide between the laborers and some scientists, "beakers," who are too good to mingle.  I'm very happy that Pole tends to be too small to support that sort of thing, and we're much more one team.

We've got a 22 year old physicist who is going to start grad school when he gets off ice, and I had lunch yesterday with an awesome 73 year old utilities tech who is doing his first season down here, fulfilling a lifelong dream.  Our winter site manager is immediately impressive.  He's spent the last 30 years managing small isolated stations on remote Aleutian Islands or tiny coral atolls in the Pacific or Indian oceans.  He spends his vacation time doing overland traverses of Africa and remote pockets of New Guinea.  I have absolute confidence in his ability to manage our group of 50 winter overs.  Our head cook is a giant of a man from North Carolina who goes by "Big Country."  You don't even have to be here to know the food is amazing.  One of his production cooks usually lives in a town of 30 in rural Alaska, mostly living off subsistence hunting and gathering, but working as a chef at a local high end cruise ship resort.

Current station population is 108.  I don't know a precise M/F breakdown, but I would guess 15-20% female.

I know it's barely been a week, but I think I'm really going to like this experience.

5 comments:

  1. how do we know that's you in the photo? until I see the nerdy tattoos, I remain unconvinced! (Also, when I first read, "nerdy astrophysicist," I thought, "he's talking about himself in the 3rd person again!")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both fair points. The visible tattoo pictures have to wait until December/January, when it warms up to -15 C or so. I took a few sweatshirt only photos right after this one, and at -40, it's surprising how quickly your fingers are really hurting. My hands were only out for a minute or two max, and it hurt.

    And you very much have a point, Dave does have a bad habit of talking about his nerdery in the 3rd person. I'll talk to him about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's the food like (other than "amazing")? Do you get everything you need from the food? Do you have to take supplements/vitamins?

    Basic science nerdery: -40degC = -40degF.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The station info displays shows the temp in both C and F. We hit the mystical -40.0 the other day. I saw it, and told my co- worker to go run and check it out, but by the time he got to the display, it was -40.5 C (-40.9 F), which DOES NOT COUNT.

    Breakfast this morning was eggs to order, scrambled eggs, breakfast potatoes, sausage patties, and pancakes. There's always a dessert available, right now it's assorted cookies and blueberry crumble. The food is definitely "cafeteria style", but there's always a veggie, protein, and dessert, sometimes a salad.

    Our local intranet page has a link to the galley menu. I don't know if it's publicly available, but you might be able to see our current weather and menu at http://www.southpole.usap.gov/scroll/scroll_alpha.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, but yeah, -40.5degC doesn't count - I agree! I'm sure everyone will get a chance to see it - you have a whole winter there, after all! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete